Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Kiss Her Once for Me by Alison Cochrun


 














Rating: ★★★★★

Genre: LGBTQ+ Holiday Romance

Format: Hardcover

Pages: 351

Read: 12/13/22

Synopsis: 

One year ago, recent Portland transplant Ellie Oliver had her dream job in animation and a Christmas Eve meet-cute with a woman at a bookstore that led her to fall in love over the course of a single night. But after a betrayal the next morning and the loss of her job soon after, she finds herself adrift, alone, and desperate for money.

Finding work at a local coffee shop, she’s just getting through the days—until Andrew, the shop’s landlord, proposes a shocking, drunken plan: a marriage of convenience that will give him his recent inheritance and alleviate Ellie’s financial woes and isolation. They make a plan to spend the holidays together at his family cabin to keep up the ruse. But when Andrew introduces his new fiancée to his sister, Ellie is shocked to discover it’s Jack—the mysterious woman she fell for over the course of one magical Christmas Eve the year before. Now, Ellie must choose between the safety of a fake relationship and the risk of something real

Review:

I am not going to give any of the back story on this. It can be found in the synopsis and if interested, in many of the other reviews.

Now romance novels are not my usual genre and I shocked a lot of my friends when they learned I was reading this and really enjoying it. 

I chose it from Book of the Month as I was just really intrigued by the overall themes. I am glad I chose it. 

 It is a perfect read for this time of year, that is if you are looking for a romance. Winter and Christmas themes, perfect for the holidays. I loved the family dynamics, the friendships, the characterization, and the wonderful winter setting. I loved the imperfectness of the characters, all their flaws layed out on the pages, so easy to connect with and wanting to route for. 

"And it's...real snow, like this...big snowstorms...they have the power to stop the world for a minute. Snow freezes time, so the constant pressure of life is briefly suspended in a blanket of snow, and for one day, it'slike you can catch your breath."

"When it snows," I say, more emphatically, "the world transforms. Snow is magic."

And this below pulled all the feelings:

"The thing is, I used to dream about someone who would always choose me above everything else. There was romance in that dream, sure. I wanted someone who woould see all my flaws and still lean in and tell me I'm beautiful. I wanted somenone who would hold my hand in public and hold the rest of me in private, a warm body in my bed, a constant presence in my life."

"I wanted someone who would see the whole mess of me---all the feelings and the perfectionism and the desire for control and the shape of my heart and the ache of my dreams, the wild, imperfect hunger of me, and the fear that keeps me from ever feeling full---and wouldn't get freaked out or turned off. Someone who would kiss me anyway."

Romantic and even a bit spicy. Delightfully charming!

Amazon Author Page:

https://www.amazon.com/stores/Alison-Cochrun/author/

Goodreads Author Page:

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/

Review Links:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/

https://www.bookbub.com/reviews/

https://app.thestorygraph.com/reviews/

From BOTM:

  • Illustrated icon, Icon_LGBTQ

    LGBTQ+ themes

  • Illustrated icon, Icon_Quirky

    Quirky

  • Illustrated icon, Icon_FakeDating

    Fake Dating

  • Illustrated icon, Icon_Siblings

    Siblings




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Sun Casts No Shadow by Mark Richardson

  R ating: ★★★★ Genre: Dystopian Format: eBook Pages: 180 Synopsis:  Wellington Thorneycroft is content picking pockets, taking Ambrosia, sc...